Game Design – Week 7 – Tools, Time, and Rooms

CreativeCommons image Tool Stash by Meena Kadri at Flickr.com

SUMMARY

• Last weeks summary was abut workflow and it was basically about how to do an project and how to turn it in and ask for help and what things we should use to get it done.

PRACTICE ROOM (TUTORIALS)

• Unreal engine is a great engine that I chose.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJpfLkEsoek

I chose this video specifically because it shows you how to make a game and a good tutorial on how to make it. Unreal engine is a great engine for game designs and has some really great features.

CLASSROOM (THEORY & ANALYSIS)

What I learned from this video is that you need to figure out which features are gonna make your game really fun and what features you need to make it work. You also need to make a prototype asap because that is a key part to game designing.

Game Genres from the Simplest and Most Difficult to Create

1. Racing Game
  2. Top-Down Shooter
  3. 2d Platformer
  4. Color Matching Puzzle Game
  5. 2D Puzzle Platformer
  6. 3D Platformer
  7. FPS
  8. JRPG
  9. Fighting Game
  10. Action Adventure
  11. Western RPG
  12. RTS

LAB (THEORY PRACTICED)

What I learned from the first video is that when you play your game you have to experience your games and see what is wrong with them and what is right. change the right things and make it better. What I learned from the second video is that if you wanna be a god designer you play all types of games even if you don’t like the certain game genre. Also some really important things for designers to know is that you have to set up the most important keys first. that will help with everything else.

OUTSIDE (CREATIVITY & THE BRAIN)

I went outside and I was trying to accomplish something. I was trying to accomplish to stay outside for a long time and make some friends, I didn’t really have luck since no one really goes outside now. But I went to this gas station and made a friend there. we exchanged numbers and we call sometimes. Overall it was really cool.

STUDIO (GAME DESIGN)

• Idea #1 Adventure

A guy and a girl wake up in a forest and they are trying to get out of it but they have to go through a lot of obstacles and it becomes really hard at night because it is hard for them to see and they don’t have flashlights or anything. But when they get out they come to a surprise.

• Idea #2 Racing game

You go against your opponents trying to collect coins and special things you can use against them. It has 5 laps and there are multiple maps you can choose from. Some maps are like in towns and some are like on a freeway. You can get speed boost on your way by collecting more coins.

• Idea #3 A scary VR game

You wake and you are in a house but little did you know it was haunted. You have three lives and yes that may sound a lot but it is decently easy to get killed. There are ghost trying to kill you and this one sinister who can appear out of no where. Your job is to try to escape and make it out alive with at least one life.

• Idea #4 Shooter game

A battle royal with 100 players where you have all certain weapons and there is natural cover that you can protect yourself in and you spawn somewhere and you battle to the death.

• Idea #5 Puzzle game

You are in a find the button map and you have to try to find a small button in a forest, There are all types of things that can be blocking the button like trees, rocks, and maybe animals.

WEEKLY ACTIVITY EVALUATION

• OK I submitted the survey